Tuesdays, October 6 ~ November 17
5:15-7:15 pm, Revolving Locations
Early Bird $105 by September 30
Educator CEU through NNU, $60
Presented by Renée Silvus, M.A., Luminaire and McCall Community Learning
Take a current or future project, life journey, business design or plan, vision, or even a relationship into the Creative Process. As a cohort, we will support each other and hold accountability. Learn effective and inspiring tools for any situation.
The Creative Process:
Preparation, Invitation & Generation
Incubation & Absorption
Inspiration & Illumination
Evaluation & Verification
The course will apply tools from the fields of creativity, neuroscience, somatic psychology, and organizational leadership.
Project progress will be shared with the class during the final session November 17.
Participants may choose from 3 optional sessions: a Guided Meditation on the Creative Process October 23 or November 13 addresses the Inspiration & Illumination stage. A Family Games Night November 6 addresses Generation, Absorption, Inspiration, and Evaluation.
* Reframe common assumptions about creativity.
* Learn the Creative Process by applying each step to the learning process within the course.
* Apply basic tenets of neuroscience, somatic psychology, and organizational leadership to the Creative Process and course final project.
* Create a concrete and useful product using the container of the course.
* Learn strategies for generating and organizing information, accessing insight, clearing blocks, reframing ‘problems,’ evaluating choices, and implementing plans.
* Recognize and facilitate steps usually avoided or ignored.
* Integrate creativity tools in life and work.
* Participate in course sessions.
* Complete weekly assignments.
* Choose one Recommended Reading from list to study and apply.
* Design a useful and relevant project.
Specific Course Skills
1. Problem-Solving and Insight Tools
* defining the “right problem”
* collecting and sorting information
* applying insight tricks to creative blocks
* using reframes, obstacles and detours as tools
* establishing clear evaluation procedures
* respecting where you are in the Creative Process
2. Supervision and Administration Skills
* creating structures and a culture for disciplined creativity
* understanding and cultivating creativity as a resource
* applying out-of-discipline structures to your life and work
implementing SMART plans: Specific, Measurable, Accountable, Relevant & on a Timeline
3. Neuroscience and Somatic Psychology Applications
* understanding neuroplasticity and ways to grow your brain
* integrating brain tools in planning and decision-making
* learning embodiment practices for insight and evaluation
October 6 Preparation, Invitation & Generation
* course agreements
* common assumptions about creativity
* different types of problems and how to understand one
* collecting, inviting, and sorting information
* influences in the Creative Process
October 13 Neuroscience and Creativity Strategies for all Brains
* alternate use tests
* brain models: old school left & right, Interpersonal Neurobiology, Heart Math, & the Enteric Nervous System
* strategies to change your brain
* break-out groups: identify final project, choose neuroscience applications, create accountability structures.
October 20 Incubation & Absorption
* fuzzy frameworks, reframes and detours
* breaking the blocks, insight tricks
* using within-discipline and out-of-discipline approaches
* break-out groups: share takeaways from Preparation Stage and reading, choose Incubation strategies, tweak accountability structures.
October 23 Optional Guided Restorative Meditation
The Creative Process. Shanti Yoga Studio, 5:30-6:45 pm.
October 27 Inspiration & Illumination
* eight-minute process to strengthen the creative mindset
* “go write to the muse”~ 100 questions
* 9 modalities of thinking
* break-out groups: share takeaways from Incubation Stage and reading list, commit to inspiration practices.
November 3 Somatic Psychology
* stress adaptation and discharge to help open creativity
* embodied creativity techniques for incubation and insight
* break-out groups: choose somatic techniques to test and apply.
November 6 Optional Family Games Night
The purpose of the Games Night is to share tools, practices, and perspectives from the class with family and friends in a structured social setting. We then have a larger and more informed support system. Children are especially welcome.
November 10 Evaluation, Verification, Implementation & Restoration
* engaging devil’s and angel’s advocates
* transcending “either/or” thinking
* using somatic intelligence
* testing and checking tools
* using the SMART framework for Implementation
* customizing and honoring Restoration
* breakout groups: ask hard questions about final projects. Tweak projects according to final stage suggestions and unique influences.
November 13 Optional Guided Restorative Meditation
The Creative Process. Shanti Yoga Studio, 5:30-6:45 pm.
November 17 Final Projects
* share and celebrate final projects
* request feedback
* request further accountability
Questions and Requests
More readable course PDF available by email.
Recommended Reading, choose one:
Armstrong, T. (2010). The power of neurodiversity: unleashing the advantages of your differently wired brain. Philadelphia, PA: Decapo Books.
Cameron, J. (2004). The Sound of paper, inspiration and practical guidance for starting the creative process. London: Penguin Books.
Dotlich, D., Cairo, P., & Rhinesmith, S. (2006). Head, heart & guts: how the world’s best companies develop complete leaders. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
Gallagher, G. (2009). Rapt: attention and the focused life. New York, NY: Penguin Books.
Gawain, S. (2001). Developing intuition: practical guidance for daily life. Novato, CA: Nataraj Publishing.
Gelb, M. (2014). Creativity on demand: how to ignite and sustain the fire of genius. Boulder, CO: Sounds True.
Gladwell, M. (2008). Outliers: the story of success. New York, NY: Little, Brown, and Company.
Kent, T. (2014). Wild creative: igniting your passion and potential in work, home, and life. New York, NY: Atria.
LaPorte, D. (2014). The Desire map: a guide to creating goals with soul. Boulder, CO: Sounds True.
Myss, C. & Joseph, S. (2014). Your creative soul, expressing your authentic voice. Boulder, CO: Sounds True.
Napier, N. (2010). Insight: encouraging aha! moments for organizational success. Westport, CT: Praeger.
Napier, N. & Nilsson, M. (2008). The creative discipline. Westport, CT: Praeger.
Siegal, D.(2009) Mindsight: the new science of personal transformation. New York, NY: Bantam.
The Creative Process Course Registration
I assume all risks and hazards incidental, including death or permanent disability, to the conduct of the activity. I do further hereby release, absolve, indemnify, and hold harmless Luminaire, the McCall Donnelly School District, and the City of McCall, its officers, employees, representatives, agents, assigns, and volunteers, from any an all injuries, damages or losses of whatever kind, nature, or amount suffered by me at any activity sponsored, in whole or in part, by these organizations. I understand that Luminaire, the McCall Donnelly School District, and the City of McCall provides no accident or medical insurance and that this is my personal responsibility. I hereby give consent for emergency medical treatment. I understand that this is to prevent undue delay and assure prompt treatment and that only a licensed physician will be engaged for such an emergency.
Please make checks to Renée Silvus or Luminaire. Drop off at Back in Motion at 337 Deinhard x airport x Southside Grill or mail to PO Box 2115 McCall, 83638. Thank you for your trust and willingness to learn.
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
The Creative Process Course Registration Receipt
Today’s Date: ______________________________
Regular Registration $125 Early Registration $105 by September 22
Course dates: October 6 ~ November 17, 5:15-7:15 pm, MDHS MacNichol Annex
15 contact hours, one CEU with NNU, $60 separate fee to NNU.
Full, 100% money-back guarantee at at point for any reason.
McCall Community Learning presents courses for everyone.